Dots in the trend lines that we analyze in depth in the weekly The Online Reporter.
Today’s dots show:
- The use of live video streaming is accelerating far beyond expectations.
- Developments in fixed-wireless broadband are on a fast pace – this time in the use of left-over white space spectrum.
US Presidential Results Gets 643m Video Views & Record Number Tweets
The election night coverage of the Trump-Clinton presidential election results generated a record amount of election night tweets and hundreds of millions of Facebook posts. More than 75 million election-related tweets were sent through 3 am ET on Wednesday, which far exceeded the record of 31 million tweets posted on election night in 2012, according to Twitter. Facebook said 115.3 million people worldwide generated 716.3 million likes, posts, comments and shares related to the election. There also 643 million views of election-related videos on Facebook.
Trump’s first tweet after winning the US presidency was:
“Such a beautiful and important evening! The forgotten man and woman will never be forgotten again. We will all come together as never before.”
Bad News for Pay TV: 2 Top Peak Periods for Live Video Streaming Are in News & Sports
Linear pay TV services are rapidly losing viewers to their two biggest attractions that, so far at least, remained their biggest “monopolies” – live sports and live news. Consumers are increasingly using live video streams to watch the news – instead of linear pay TV. Akamai said that viewing live video streams during the US presidential count set a record for a single news event. During the vote count, it hit a peak of 7.5 Tbps on its platform shortly before midnight ET on Tuesday, which beat the previous peak of 7.3 Tbps that occurred during this summer’s European soccer finals – news beats sports. Akamai said Election Night traffic in 2004 peaked at just 21 Gbps, was 1.1 Tbps during the 2009 Obama inauguration and 1.3 Tbps for the Royal Wedding in 2011. What’s a linear pay TV service to do? The other question is whether broadband service providers and home networks ready for the coming surges in live video streaming?
68% of Schools Have Faster Broadband than in 2013
Some 68% of schools say they have fast broadband than they did in 2013 when only 19% said they had fast broadband, according to a report from the Consortium for School Networking, which also reported that 57% of schools said ongoing costs are their biggest barrier to faster broadband speeds. The report said 94% of high schools have Wi-Fi. You have to wonder why the other 6% do not have Wi-Fi.
Samsung & China Mobile Research Institute Complete 5G Tests
This week Samsung said that in partnership with the China Mobile Research Institute (CMRI), it has successfully completed its Beijing trials of 5G prototypes. The two have been working together on 5G development since June 2016 when Samsung joined China Mobile 5G Innovation Center.
Ericsson Warns Cellcos to Look Beyond Conventional Cellular to Pay for 5G
Ericsson this week warned that cellcos will have to look beyond their traditional cellular market to justify the cost of building 5G networks – but also said that few cellcos are actually doing that. Ericsson specifically mentioned IoT and third-party collaboration, which provide services tailored to specific industry verticals. Oddly, it did not mention using fixed-wireless networking to connect residences for very high-speed broadband, something that AT&T, Verizon and Korea Telecom have said they will do as soon as 5G technology is available.
Leftover White Space Spectrum Used to Provide Wireless Broadband in Isolated Areas
There is more than one way to bring high-speed broadband to an area.
The Scottish island of Arran will take advantage of “leftover” spectrum (white space) from the switch to digital TV to improve broadband access and speed. A partnership between the broadband service Nominet and broadband campaign group Broadway Partners, a UK broadband lobbyist, have rolled out, for the first time in Europe, a white space-based broadband service for Arran’s 5,000 residents. In January 2016, high-speed fiber broadband was installed past about 2,000 homes and business in Arran and nearby Cumbrae as part of a £146 million investment that was funded by the Scottish government However, installing fiber in the island’s sparsely populated areas such as its west coast was prohibitively expensive. That area will be the first to get white space broadband and it will be more widely deployed in 2017.
The Online Reporter Daily sends a free daily briefing to anyone that wants to receive it. Want to try the daily? Sign up and/or unsubscribe at will here.
The Weekly The Online Reporter contains in-depth news, research, analysis, forecasts and complete reports. It is $995 and can be ordered and trialed here.